Plaid cape frankenpattern

 I have wanted a cape since they were heavily featured in my first ever Burda issue, 08-2009.  However, It wasn't unti this winter that I actually got around to create my ideal cape.

First, I had a lot of criteria:
  •  it couldn't have droopy bits that would get caught in car doors or dragged through soup
  • it had to have some fitting so it didn't look like a tent on my large frame (my waist is my only narrow part
  • it had to be warm enough to suffer through an early spring yard duty or a stint at arena as a skating mom
  • pockets!
So this Burda 08-2009 pattern provided the "sleeves" for my cape.
This Vogue 8674 pattern was used for the body.
V8674
Line Art

I used the longer length of view C.  I detest the sleeves on the Vogue, as all I could think about was all the things I would drag them through and get them caught in. However, the body is nicely fitted and I like the high collar.

Here is what I ended up with:
 For the back view I decided to not have the sleeves meet, similar to a RTW cape that I saw - I can no longer find the link to the image anywhere.  The belt detail I got from there as well.  My belt is "faux" as it only goes to the side seams, not around the front. It is made from thin black leather with encased elastic to give it a gathered/elasticized effect. I decided to put the sleeves on the bias to get the neat effect with the plaid.  Unfortunately, it didn't dawn on me that the plaids were almost squares, but not quite. This meant it took me forever to match them up until I realized what the problem was.
The fabric for the coat is some sort of blend (more poly, very little wool) from Fabricland that I got on deep clearance. I lined it with Kasha to make it warmer.  There are inseam pockets and I used windowpane-type buttonholes for the HUGE buttons that I found. 

I love to throw it over whatever I'm wearing for an extra layer...it served me well during late winter/early spring weather.

It took a lot more time and futzing than I would have liked, but it ended up being well worth it...I've received lots of compliments and unsolicitations.

Comments

  1. I just discovered your blog, how great! My family used to rent a cabin each summer on Barrie Island (near Gore Bay) each summer. Great blog and great sewing! Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your happy thoughts...

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha Hoodie with Ripstop by the Roll

Recess Time SWAP completed!

Ruffle leather jacket complete!