Camel leather jacket knockoff

Joie jacket

Joie jacket                                                                                                     My Jacket!

Since I first began sewing, when I was on maternity leave in 2009, one of my sewing goals was to sew a leather jacket. During one of Fabric Mart's great sales I scored several leather skins, embossed and camel coloured. I wanted to sew something simple, so I read reviews on Pattern Review and decided on McCall's 6171.  I figure I made this jacket for between $20 -$30.
Line DrawingPhoto
This great pattern, which comes with pattern pieces for different cup sizes A,B,C,D, was easy to sew up and achieve a great fit because they did the bust adjustments for you. I sewed a size 12 with the C cup and it was a great fit in my first iteration of this jacket, a grey faux suede. I did take in the seam allowances an extra 1/4 inch on the leather version to accommodate the stretch of the leather. I also left off the collar because I was copying a RTW version that I found on Polyvore

I did come across an error in the pattern, luckily on my first attempt and not on the leather. One of the front pieces is too short (it is actually the size of the lining piece).

I am happy that I obtained this pattern before it disappeared (it is now OOP) because I'm sure I will make it up again and again. Great fit, quick to sew...who could ask for more?

Comments

  1. What an amazing jacket! I just found your blog via the comment you left on mine about my trousers. I must say, I'm intimidated by jeans, and, reading through your previous posts, see that you sew very well. Thanks for posting the pics for your SWAP. The garments are very wonderfully made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the jacket (and all of your other pieces as well...really like the green print dress)! What a brave soul you are. I plan to do a leather jacket one day and will definitely be encouraged by your work. Yours fits so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your happy thoughts...

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha Hoodie with Ripstop by the Roll

Recess Time SWAP completed!

Ruffle leather jacket complete!