Part 3: Inspired Wardrobe - Cardigan

 As I continue to work my way through my summer reading of the book “The House of Gucci”, I marvel at the changes to the business over the years. From a simple beginning of making leather bags, the company name has now become teenage slang for "it's all good". Hence, my kids are always saying, "That's so Gucci". Nothing like teen slang to perpetuate product branding, lol!

Urban Dictionary Definition "Gucci"

I spent some time on Pinterest looking at Gucci's latest offerings, and jacquard cardigans are THE thing.  I had selected this Python Texture Activewear Knit from France.  Elliott Berman Textiles has such a wide range of fabrics to choose from, and this one doesn't disappoint.  It is the perfect weight for a top layer and it can be worn for anything from a workout coverup, apres workout, workwear or weekends.




I found a couple of inspiration pics of Gucci cardigans that really appealed to me  



I then found a pattern that I have been wanting to try: the Misusu Cuddle Cardigan. Here is the information from the website:

The Cuddle Cardigan invites you to get all cuddled up this fall/winter - this boyfriend-style oversized cardigan features a neckband that overlaps at the back, comfortably hugging your neck. The shoulder seam is dropped towards the back and continues into the sleeves. Here we've included the possibility of adding a colorblocked strip in true Misusu style!

View A is your everyday basic cardigan with patch pockets. View B features inseam pockets. Both views come in a short & long length - the short length hits between the belly button and the hip bone and the long length hits below the booty. 

The Cuddle Cardigan is a surprisingly fast and easy sew! Techniques involved include sewing with knits, topstitching, attaching ribbing and sewing button holes.

I made the longer version, with patch pockets, and eliminated the back contrast stripe.

I eliminated the front bands on the pattern and used striped elastic instead, to emulate the famous Gucci stripes. I sewed small darts into the elastic at the back to fit the pattern design. I am still undecided about whether to add snaps, so will likely wear it a bit before deciding. Buttons aren't a great choice due to the elastic fronts.






It pairs well with several of the fabrics I have selected for tops for my wardrobe and I am sure it will quickly become a wardrobe staple.

I have a few more tops to add to this summer wardrobe collection.

Stay tuned.

Heather @ManitoulinThreads









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha Hoodie with Ripstop by the Roll

Recess Time SWAP completed!

Ruffle leather jacket complete!