Luscious leather and other fabrics

I see that Fabric Mart Fabrics has new leather in stock.  Wow, there are some gorgeous options.  I am especially partial to the white lambskin for a great summer jacket for chilly evenings, and the blueberry would be fun for a back-to-school (aka work) wardrobe in the fall.  Unfortunately, the shipping to Canada is high, and since I recently placed a huge Fabric Mart order, I can't justify the purchase right now.  However, if anyone else purchases some, please let me know what "awesomeness" you plan to sew with it so I can live vicariously through you.
(fabric links as of June 11/12)

Below, I have some new, but unfortunately not leather, fabrics for my overwhelming stash.  For the record, I can't believe how quickly stash can accumulate in just 3 short years of sewing.



Fuschia Ralph Lauren waterproof fabric from Fabric Mart


In my recent order, I ended up with 8 yards of Gore Tex.  Rather unexciting, but highly practical.  You see, besides sewing, my other love is paddling.  We are a paddling family and we spend our summers kayaking, canoeing, and guiding and teaching these amazing watersports.  My kids are taking up the paddling schtick (like they had a choice) and they need gear.  It is nearly impossible to find, and incredibly expensive to buy, outdoor gear for young children.  I am planning a rain jacket for my daughter  out of the pink fabric above and I will stash the rest of my waterproof-breathables' purchase for future rain pants, jackets, mitts, hats and so on.

I did spring for a freebie Fabric Mart bundle (which is not so free when you factor in the very expensive shipping to Canada, so not always a gamble I take) and these are some of the pieces I ended up with:

The fabric on the left appears to be some sort of heavier polyester, blue on one side and greyish on the other.  I will likely use it as a purse lining.  The black lace on the right, with a fun circle design, will likely be a top of some sort.  It would make a great dress, but in my world of elementary school teacher and mom by winter/outdoorsy sporty paddling woman by summer, I can't see getting much use of a dress with lace overlay.  I do love it though.
I also ended up with this.  It is some sort of backed/bonded brownish knitish thing.  It will make either a costume of some sort, or some type of soft jacket, though I can't see me wearing this since it feels bizarre to the touch.
This is not a fabric purchase, but rather, a find at our local church rummage sale.  It is handmade and vintage, a knit with very little stretch.  It is too small as-is, but if I redesign it from tunic length to shorter top I think I can make it work as a fun tank/shell.  Hey, you can't go wrong for a whole 50 cents!

This final fabric is a lightweight cotton that I actually purchased at my nearest (meaning a two hour drive away) Fabricland, the Canadian chain store. I don't buy many prints from there because I rarely find anything that I like, but for some reason I couldn't leave the store without this one.  I'm not much of a dress person for most of the year, but in the summer, they are my favourite type of clothing.  So easy to wear and very cool in warm weather.  This will definitely be a dress, but I have no idea which style yet.

I have finished several projects lately but haven't had time to photograph or post them as I've been in the midst of report cards and all that other busy end-of-the-school-year stuff.  Hopefully life will settle down soon and I can get some project details recorded here before I forget them.

Finished project updates to come soon, fingers crossed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha Hoodie with Ripstop by the Roll

Recess Time SWAP completed!

Ruffle leather jacket complete!